Resources for forest defenders and supporters
The Forest Chaplain
- Get in touch with Jason directly if you would like to talk, and he will get back to you as soon as possible, within the constraints of a two day per week position. No idea who he is? He looks like an older version of the guy on the left (photo to be updated soon)
- Jason John (Rev. Dr)
- 0438 609 097 (txt, signal or whatsapp)
- We are working on a small list of other confidential listeners whom Jason can put you in touch with, and are in negotiations to have a small group of local psychologists available to be referred to with a quick response time. We hope to have a beginning core established by Feb 2024.
- Lifeline, 24/7, 13 11 14, “We are Australia’s largest crisis support service, here to ensure you’ll never face your darkest moment alone. The service is confidential and you’ll be connected to a trained Lifeline Crisis Supporter who will be there to listen, without judgment.”
- 13 Mob (13 92 76) The first national crisis support line for mob who are feeling overwhelmed or having difficulty coping. A confidential one-on-one yarning opportunity with a Lifeline-trained Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Crisis Supporter.
- 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732) This is a 24-hour national sexual assault, family and domestic violence counselling line for any Australian who has experienced, or is at risk of, family and domestic violence and/or sexual assault. See also their website, and link to DAISY, the free app, at https://1800respect.org.au/
- Other Domestic Violence related services– https://www.whiteribbon.org.au/helplines/
More resources (in progress)
This video by Dr Miriam-Rose Ungunmerr Baumann invites us to take time to really listen to Earth and each other.
Ecological spirit/faith gatherings
First Sundays 11am outside Gleniffer church.
Connect with the God of Life, surrounded by the Earth family at Gleniffer. God who is Mother, Father, Spirit, Encourager, Wisdom, the River feeding many wells, the elephant being described by blind people (snake, rope, tree, spear). God of the rainbow and all the rainbow people, here in communion with the Gumbaynggirr people long before Jesus, or even Abraham, walked the Earth. More
Gleniffer Community Church
Usually third Sundays 10am inside Gleniffer church, for a more typical church service. We are grateful to be able to gather monthly, away from the hustle and bustle, in this small building in this awe-inspiring location, to respond to Jesus’ Good News for the whole Earth, as Christians have done so for over a century. More
Monthly on Mondays, 6pm. Coffs Harbour and Northern Beaches.
“We meet monthly on Monday evenings. The evening includes sharing a meal together at 6pm, 20-30 minutes of meditation, a short Ecodharma talk and discussion. Ecodharma focuses on relationships, particularly our human earth connection from a deep understanding of interconnectedness. Our aspiration is that this group is to create a safe community space where many diverse voices can be heard, and where ancient wisdom flows into present moment experience. Everyone is welcome. For more information please reach out to me at [email protected]”
Weekly Mondays, 4-6, Bello Youth Hub, open to all people, with Uncle Micklo Jarrett (facebook page). Say it, sing it! Drop in, donation of $10-20 per class recommended. Don’t like BookFace? contact [email protected].
For more information on this and other Gumbaynggirr language classes, see the list at Muurrbay Aboriginal Language and Culture Co-operative
If you are anywhere near the proposed Great Koala National Park, there is bound to be a friends group near you- have a google or FB search, but here are some: If your group should be here, email [email protected] with details
Friends of Newry on facebook
Friends of Kalang Headwaters on facebook
Kalang Rivers Forest Alliance on facebook
Friends of Tuckers Knob on facebook
Friends of Conglomerate on facebook
Friends of Coffs Coast Koalas on facebook (Lower Bucca SF, Orara West SF, Nana Creek SF and Gundar SF.)
Friends of Dorrigo Koalas on facebook
Friends of Orara East on facebook
Friends of Tarkeeth on facebook
The very busy Forest Ecology Alliance can tell you more about Fridays for Forests at Nambucca, the Forest Embassy which is on most weeks in Bellingen, and can take you out into the forests to help with citizen science surveys. Find them on facebook, or via [email protected] Drop into the embassy to find out about other friends groups, and the latest opportunities to get involved.
North East Forest Alliance (NEFA) on facebook
Bellingen Activist Network is a direct action focussed group which has been active in forests around the GKNP- facebook. “a network of people; organising and taking direct action against colonial destruction.”
Find out more about the proposed Great Koala National Park here